Mediator and Arbitrator
John serves as a mediator and arbitrator in complex business, technology, and intellectual property matters involving parties and interests around the country and beyond — often before litigation is filed.
Prior to his service as a mediator and arbitrator, John served as the lead settlement negotiator in hundreds of cases, mediating and negotiating settlements on behalf of corporate and individual clients in more than 20 states. With experience as a litigator, corporate counsel and business executive, he brings rare and valuable perspective to dispute resolution.
Trustee and Special Situations Professional
In 2009, John was appointed to serve as the liquidating trustee to the BearingPoint, Inc. Liquidating Trust by the U. S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York. Since then, he has been appointed and retained to manage various estates, claims, and special situations around the country. Most of these clients don’t have legal problems. They have business problems in the legal context.
Rare Executive and In-House Legal Experience
John served as chief litigation counsel to KPMG Consulting, LLC/BearingPoint, Inc., a $3 billion global consulting firm with as many as 17,000 employees, for over eight years. He later became the company’s chief legal officer and, ultimately, its president. Prior to KPMG Consulting, John practiced with a nationally known litigation boutique and a major Texas law firm, representing plaintiffs and defendants in complex commercial and intellectual property litigation matters.
John’s memberships and affiliations include :
- Past Chair, State Bar of Texas ADR Section
- Past Chair, Dallas Bar Association ADR Section
- Past Chair, National Litigation Committee, Association of Corporate Counsel
- Past Chair, General Counsel Forum, Dallas/Fort Worth Chapter
- Past Chair, Duke Law School Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Past Chair, Duke Law School Future Forum
- Trustee, St. John’s Episcopal School Board of Trustees
- Past Director, Dwell with Dignity Foundation
- Inaugural Member, ADR Champions List, The National Law Journal
- Council Member, State Bar of Texas ADR Section
- Member, National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Member, Association of Attorney-Mediators
- Panelist, AAA National Roster of Arbitrators
- Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
John received his J.D. from the Duke University School of Law in 1990 and his B.A. from Mississippi State University in 1986. He received his mediation training from Pepperdine University’s Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution in 2005 and arbitration training from the AAA in 2012, and he has served as a mediator and arbitrator in significant disputes since 2013. He lives in Dallas with his wife and three boys.